Early in 2020, Hannah, and I started a book club. The original idea was to host the meetings in person but that quickly switched to Zoom due to COVID-19 and the fact that our members were scattered from the east coast to the Midwest…makes meeting in person a bit difficult. As the self-appointed ‘oligarchs’ of Book Club & Cocktails we have had some ups and downs but as I reflect on the past two years I realize I wouldn’t have had it any other way. So, here are the top 5 things I’ve learned about hosting a book club and why you should consider joining one ASAP!
- You CANNOT please everyone all of the time…and honestly, it’s so much better this way! Some of our absolute best book club meetings have been when people honestly disagree about the book we read. I’ve even chosen a few that I hated and others really loved so don’t worry about it, a difference of opinion makes for excellent conversation!
- The fewer the better! Some of our best meetings have been when only a few members were able to attend so don’t worry if the group isn’t large, you can still have amazing conversation and everyone will have an opportunity to contribute.
- A variety of literary genres is the way to go! Readers tend to choose the same kind of literature over and over again when left to their own devises (Hannah and I are guilty as charged) so having a variety of genres included in the book list is a great way to experience new literature that you wouldn’t necessarily pick up on your own.
- Don’t worry if the conversation diverts away from the book itself…or goes completely off the rails! Having lead book club for two years now, I can tell you the conversation will almost always divert from the book and the meetings that go completely off the rails are by far the most fantastic. Let it happen, you won’t regret it.
- Run your book club your way…or find one that suits your personality. Over the years we have been accused of being an ‘oligarchy’ which, we totally are, but we also ask members for their thoughts/opinions and book recommendations. It just so happens that our group truly appreciates not having to choose the books themselves and they trust (for the most part) that the books we pick will be worth their time. I know, I know…we’re blessed with a pretty amazing book club.
If you have ever considered starting your own book club or joining one at your local book shop, I highly recommend you do so. There is something truly fantastic about sitting down with other people and discussing your ideas and thoughts about a book you all have read and then hearing new perspectives that you would never have thought of on your own. Book Club & Cocktails both enriches my life and expands my own worldview, and for this I am eternally grateful.
Thank you, to all of the members of Book Club & Cocktails!